Executive Producer at Alphabetti Theatre
Title of post: Executive Producer
Hours: Standard 40 hours, with the occasional evening and weekend work
Salary: £20,000 per annum
Holiday entitlement: 30 days per annum (including public holidays)
Benefits: 30% discount on food/drink in the Alphabetti Bar & complimentary tickets to productions at the venue.
Contract: Initial 1 year contract (with intention to extend) subject to a month probationary period
Start: 1st May 2019
- CV and covering letter as to why you’d like to work at Alphabetti and why you are right for the role to be sent by 15thApril 2019 at 6pm to: – Please use email subject – [Executive Producer] – [applicant name]
- By Friday 19th April applicants will be notified via email if we would like to invite them for an interview, with interviews that week
- Applicant selected by 26th April 2019.
- Start 1stMay 2019
About Alphabetti Theatre
Alphabetti Theatre is an award winning, artist led 75-seater theatre located in the Newcastle upon Tyne city centre. We are a registered charity with an additional trading arm as well as the venue our building consists of: a bar / café space, rehearsal room, prop and costume workshop and 4 artist studios. We are the only dedicated studio theatre in the region. We strive to sustain a socio-economically accessible venue believing that great art should be for everyone not just those who can afford it. Running a unique and progressive ticketing policy, the majority of our tickets are part of our ‘Pay What You Feel’ scheme (meaning that audiences members pay what they are able to afford) the remaining tickets are £10 or under.
Alphabetti create, produce and programme new original work from across the performing arts. Alphabetti is a safe and welcoming space for the community and provides a platform for artists and audiences to experiment, evolve and discover excellence. We create and present high quality performances that are accessible, relatable and challenging. We operate as a meeting ground, hosting regular community group events and talks, and our bar/café space is a safe space for people to gather. We continue ensure our work makes connections with underrepresented or disadvantaged groups; regularly developing projects and collaborations with these individuals.
The company and venue was founded and built out of necessity in 2012 in response to a lack of opportunities for emerging and early-career artists in the North East; whilst providing a space for non-theatre going audiences to enjoy arts and culture. Embracing a DIY ethos the venue has been built by artists and volunteers our limited resources are focussed on the people that engage with us – audiences and artists. This has led to a removal of the pretentiousness that may be found unintentionally in other arts and culture venues.
On average yearly, we work with 1000 artists; welcome 9000 audience members and hosting a minimum of 240 performances including 2/3 festivals.
The Executive Producer is a new role for Alphabetti Theatre, due to this the role will adapt to the person in the position. Alphabetti are seeking a dynamic, ambitious, and strategically focused Executive Producer to work with Artistic /Executive Director Ali Pritchard to provide clear and consistent leadership for the company. The Executive Producer will be responsible for the overall management and administration of the company, programme and productions. Applications are invited from individuals with significant experience in producing. The post holder will recognise and value all that makes Alphabetti Theatre one of the most ambitious and exciting producing and receiving houses in the region.
The role will include but not exclusive to:
- To work alongside the Artistic/ Executive Director and the Board to develop and implement Alphabetti’s long-term strategic objectives.
- To evolve Alphabetti’s business model, produce strategic and business plans and monitor progress against clearly set objectives.
- To develop the company’s touring policy particularly seeking opportunities for further exploitation of all areas of the company's work, including commercial transfers.
- To support the Artistic/ Executive Director in creating and maintaining strong relationships with touring venue managers, co-producers, partner theatres and potential institutions partners.
- To promote the company and its artistic policies to venues, funders, peers and the wider theatre community.
- To work with the Artistic/ Executive Director on applications to Arts Council England and any other funding bodies, and ensure compliance and conditions of grant-aid.
- To represent the company at meetings and conferences of regional and national bodies.
PRODUCING AND TOURING
- To collaborate with the Artistic/ Executive Director to evolve Alphabetti’s artistic policy.
- To plan, schedule and ensure appropriate resourcing of all productions nationally and internationally.
- To oversee the negotiations of salaries, fees, rights and royalties with all staff, writers, cast and creative team, within agreed budgets.
- To oversee the general management of all productions in regard to negotiation with and contracting of the creative team, actors and stage management; managing production budgets.
- To oversee the day-to-day general management and the direct support of the productions on tour. To ensure that all contracts of employment are in accordance with relevant industry contracts.
- To support the Artistic/ Executive Director to maintain effective relationships between Alphabetti and its creative teams, acting companies and artists.
- To collaborate with the Artistic/ Executive Director in developing and evolving Alphabetti’s digital policy.
- To develop, monitor and progress the administrative and financial planning for the company.
- Supporting the Artistic / Executive Director with the annual review and updating of Alphabetti’s Business and Financial Plan, all revenue funding applications and associated liaison with major funding bodies.
- To ensure that the company operates as a good employer, taking responsibility for its employment procedures, including the professional development and training of its staff.
- To ensure and maintain adequate insurances appropriate to the company’s needs.
- To oversee the continued development and implementation of the company’s policies including: Health and Safety, Equality and Inclusion etc.
- To evolve and manage Alphabetti’s front of house procedure and policies.
- To attend read-throughs, sharings, Preview, Press and Supporters Nights and other Alphabetti Theatre or external events as required
- Attend regular Company meetings and Operations meetings
- To be responsible for the sound administrative and financial management of the company.
- To oversee the raising and paying of the charity’s invoices.
- To oversee all financial matters, supported by the Artistic/ Executive Director in particular the preparation of annual and project budgets, and implement financial controls to ensure the meeting of a balanced annual budget.
- To oversee the preparation of annual audited accounts.
- To oversee the preparation of quarterly management accounts.
- Alongside the Artistic/ Executive Director, to maintain regular and positive relations with the Arts Council and other funding bodies and regularly reporting to them as they see fit through formal and informal communication.
- To work with the Artistic/ Executive Director to ensure that the fundraising strategy can achieve the financial targets set within the Business Plan.
- To work with the Artistic/ Executive Director in the development of fundraising bids.
- To ensure that effective monitoring and reporting systems are in place.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- To oversee the servicing of the Board of Trustees and to ensure accurate and full information for decision-making is provided to the Trustees.
- To carry out administrative duties as Company Secretary and ensure that proper minutes are kept of Board meetings.
- To keep the Board of Trustees fully informed of the financial affairs of the company.
- To negotiate and formalise contracts with all members of staff including freelance employees and artistic collaborators.
- To maintain and develop the Company’s Equal Opportunities and other relevant Policies.
- To strategically pursue greater ethnic, class and gender diversity within the organisation and across all Alphabetti’s activity.
- Any other duties of an executive nature as determined from time to time by the Artistic/ Executive Director and the Board.
Person Attributes required for the role
Below is a list of the experience, skills and attributes that we’re looking for but we know that not everyone can meet all of them. If you don’t think you have everything on the list but know that you could make a real difference to Alphabetti Theatre then we encourage you to make an application.
- At least 3 years’ experience of producing or project management
- Experience and success of writing funding bids to trusts and foundations, with specific knowledge of Project Grants (previous Grants for the Arts) through Arts Council England
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- A collaborative approach and a desire to work in partnership with the Artistic/ Executive Director.
- Excellent financial management skills.
- Experience of carrying financial responsibility for an organisation and ensuring the delivery of financial targets.
- Excellent computer skills on programs such as word, excel, powerpoint, photoshop ect.
- Experience of strategic Business Planning, policy setting and implementation for arts organisations.
- Experience of devising and managing yearly and production budgets, and of controlling expenditure.
- A demonstrable commitment to equality.
- Experience of supporting the generation of income, for example through involvement with fundraising
- An ability to write detailed and engaging marketing materials
- Knowledge of theatre best practices and policies, including equality & diversity,
- Ability to deal with a high volume workload in a high-pressure environment.
- Analytical, thorough, accurate and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Creative and lateral thinker.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to manage resources effectively.
- Ability to work alone, show initiative and take ownership, or as a member of a team.
- A positive, proactive and flexible approach.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the confidence to represent Alphabetti Theatre externally.
- Like dogs and babies.
- Passion for & interest in the arts, especially theatre.
Alphabetti welcomes and encourages applications from everyone regardless of their age, sex, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, disability or nationality. This is not a job for the faint-hearted, however it will be extremely rewarding. Alphabetti is about to go through another burst of growth; we want someone who has the capacity to hit the ground running and can grow with us through our next phase.